dimanche 7 octobre 2012

Item Of the Week.







It's already time for me to present another "Item of the Week", another one of my favorites items.


This week, I'm going to talk you about a crystal chandelier that I LOVE. It is maybe not yet an antique one (circa 1950) but it already has a long story. This is really a "family heirloom" and I had the chance to see it hanging in 3 different houses: in my Grand-Parent’s house then in their apartment and finally in my own house where it has pride of place in the entrance.
 But do you think that I can't see your mimics? And that I can't hear you telling that this is not a great value item? It is maybe common, but I really think that this is a charming and well-made chandelier. The small hand-sewed lampshades are just lovely and above all, it has a terrific sentimental value for me. In fact, this was a gift from my beloved Bobonne Emilia, years before she died and even years before she became mad. Just before I left her after an evening spend together, she asked me to wait and she disappeared at the other end of her tiny apartment. She was a very frail old lady and I remember her well, coming back with a huge parcel (well, to be honest, in comparison to her own size, the parcel seemed huge!). "This is for you, she said... As a memento from your Grandma! » And this was it, the chandelier wrapped in black paper. We were good friends, and I really loved her. She always talked to me in French, but she was Flemish. She had a very distinguished pronunciation and she did not like to hear me speaking Dutch. "You don't need to know that language, she said...» She was from the sweetest creatures living on Earth and I had the heart broken when she began to lose her head. She spend her lasts months in a bed. Poor, poor, poor Bobonne. Her death was a relief but I still miss her and her kindness. That chandelier is a silent witness of the many great times we had together, and when I look at it, I always think "Merci, Bobonne...»

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire