mardi 20 novembre 2012

Edwardians Church drapes.

Since last spring, I am the proud owner of these amazing antique mourning drapes. These came to me all together while I was intending to find curtains for my bathroom. Yes, my bathroom!
Let me explain this to you. When we renovated the bathroom, I choose to have one wall covered with branches of Magnolia on a black background. I found that "touch of black" very smart and I even add a few: I painted the window frame in glossy black, I bought black towels and black accessories. My other walls were painted in that soft tone of gold from Levis and I was very proud of the overal effect. Not too black, not too depressive, may I dare to say "distinguished"? Yes, I was (and I am) very proud of it.

And then, one idea sprung out from my mind. I suddenly thaught that finding antique black velvet to use as curtains could be the final touch to that room and could make a nice decoration for my window. I already had that in mind since a few week and had already been asking this to several dealers but no one could provide me with that velvet. So, when I saw that box on the Place du Jeu de Balles,my favorite playground and fleamarket in town, I didn't even hesitate a second and bought the all lot.

Well done: since then, these drapes are in the attic! They are as heavy as a dead donkey, I almost died on the way back to home ( I never use the car when I go to Brussels, so I had to carry the box from the Jeu de Balles to the station, and then from the station to home). They are far to long to be used in the room (Me cutting antique textile? No way!). And most of all, I finally turned out to be too superstitious to hang these at the window.

So after many congratulations from my friends, familly and relatives, sitting on that box with my broken spinal column and still no curtains in the bathroom, I only wanted to cry. Madame la Marquise is not a drama queen but this was the dramatical part of that story. She finally found antique green velvet from Tina for the curtains. And the mourning drapes, well, if they are not good for the project that I first had in mind, I must admit that they really are gorgeous.





I don't think that this is a common thing to find such antiques liturgical fabrics. Ofcourse, I might be wrong on that point and they are not in perfect condition... But have a look at all that silver metallic trim and lace! They are meters and meters! Have a look at these embroidered patterns! Such good quantities of antique textile to find a new life for! Stunning! I'm pretty sure that you will love it and be happy to buy these from my ebay listing. Aren't you?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire